ConTEXT is a small, fast and powerful text editor for software developers.
After years and years gumbling with all kind of Windows text editors, I
haven't found any of them to complete satisfy my needs, so I wrote my own.
This editor is freeware, absolutely free for use. If you are so fascinated
and want to pay for it, I encourage you to send any amount of anything to
the address listed at the bottom of this file. Anyway, I'd like to hear any
of your comments and suggestions, to discuss it and implement it in future
Check ConTEXT pages at http://www.fixedsys.com/context for ConTEXT updates.
New versions with added features and bugfixes are available very often.
* unlimited open files
* unlimited editing file size, 4kB line length
* powerful syntax highlighting for:
- Java Script
- Visual Basic
- 80x86 assembler
- User customizable syntax highlighters
* multilanguage support
* project workspaces support
* unicode UTF8 support
* code templates
* customizable help files for each file type
* file explorer with favorites list
* export to HTML/RTF
* conversion DOS->UNIX->Macintosh file formats
* editing position remembering accross files
* macro recorder
* commenting/uncommenting code
* text sort
* normal and columnar text selection
* find and replace text in all open files
* regular expressions in find/replace dialogs
* C/Java-style block auto indent/outdent
* customizable color printing with print preview
* exporting configuration stored in registry
* customizable syntax highlighting colors, cursor shapes, right margin,
gutter, line spacing...
* user defineable execution keys, depending on file type
* capturing console applications standard output
* powerful command line handler
* install and uninstall
* it's FREE!
Planned features for v1.0
* hex editor
* plug-in architecture for external tools
* enhancing macro recorder features and macro script language
* code browser for C/C++, Delphi and Visual Basic projects
* hard tabs support
* paragraphs and real word wrapping
* more powerful custom highlighter definition language
* file compare
* other misc. tools
What's new in this version?
Original NOTEPAD.EXE replacement
Since many applications has hardcoded calling Windows Notepad.exe, the only
way to start ConTEXT instead original Windows Notepad is to cheat those
applications by replacing original Windows Notepad with other fake-Notepad
which will call ConTEXT everytime Notepad is started. To achieve this,
follow next steps:
1. Back-up your original notepad.exe found in C:\Windows\ (Windows 95/98)
or in C:\WinNT\System32 (Windows NT) by renaming it to e.g.
2. Copy Notepad.exe found in directory where ConTEXT is installed
(e.g. C:\Program Files\ConTEXT\) to C:\Windows or C:\WinNT\System32\
For Windows 2000 users, following procedure is required:
1. Rename C:\WinNT\System32\DLLCache\Notepad.exe to Notepad.bak. If you
don't see C:\WinNT\System32\DLLCache folder in explorer, start MS-DOS
prompt and type:
ren notepad.exe notepad.bak
2. Replace C:\WinNT\Notepad.exe and C:\WinNT\System32\Notepad.exe with
Notepad.exe found in directory where ConTEXT is installed.
3. Windows will tell you that a system file has been replaced and ask you
for the CD (since it can't refresh it automatically from dllcache).
Just cancel the dialog and then press YES to let it know you want to
keep the new file.
To define custom syntax highlighter, copy Highlighters/x86 Assembler.chl
to new file and edit it. File is well commented and there should be no
problems understanding it.
Check ConTEXT support pages for additional highlighters.
Note: Install highlighters you need. Lots of custom highlighters can
slightly increase ConTEXT loading time.
Code template is a set of shortcuts with associated code. It is used for
most frequently used code structures. Templates are stored in directory
C:\Program Files\ConTEXT\Template. Pipe char (|) defines where cursor
will be positioned after inserting code from template. See ObjectPascal
template for example.
If you have your own templates, send it to me to include it in next
All language files are stored in language\ subdirectory in direcotry where
ConTEXT is installed. If translation to your language doesn't exists and
you want to contribute translation, please be free to translate
language\Custom.lng file and e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org and it will
be included in next ConTEXT distribution. Also, I'd be glad if you send me
any corrections to existing translations.
To get newest ConTEXT version, language updates or custom highlighters,
There is no need to uninstall old ConTEXT version prior to upgrading to
newer version. When ConTEXT is uninstalled, all environment settings will
remain in registry and will be used in newer version.
This program is distributed as freeware. This software is provided "as is",
without any guarantee made as to its suitability or fitness for any
particular use. It may contain bugs, so use of this tool is at your own
risk. Author takes no responsibility for any damage that may unintentionally
be caused through its use. You may not distribute ConTEXT in any form
without express written permission of author. Blablabla.....
postal address: Eden Kirin
mailing list: see details on support pages